Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Crafting Hope

Life has been so busy lately!  Since Sean and I both teach, we decided that we want to take full advantage of summers and travel as much as we can.  After school got out, Sean went to a swim meet in Phoenix before we went to London and Ireland.  My dad has students in London for a study abroad program and Sean has family in Ireland so it worked out perfectly!  Then we came back and had one night in our own bed before we went to Phoenix to be in our friends' wedding.  It was such a beautiful wedding and we were so grateful to be a part of it!

Needless to say, we are a bit exhausted now that we're back home.  It's back to normal life, which means I am now on my millionth load of laundry and our apartment needs some cleaning.  BUT I am so excited to tell you all about a project I am working on this summer!  First a little background...

In 2012 I went to Kenya on a mission trip with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.  I was blown away by everything, but one particular part of the trip has stuck in the front of my mind.  We visited Sanctuary of Hope, an orphanage that cares for over 20 children.  As I sat there listening to small children leading a worship service, I was moved by what God had done in their lives.  Pastor Karau and his wife, the founders of Sanctuary of Hope, opened these homes to give children from the Mathare Valley slum a safe home, an education, and a family.

So now, two years later, I still can't get that picture of those children out of my head.  I've been trying to think of how to respond and I've finally decided.  Introducing...


I'm putting together a craft fair called "Crafting Hope" to benefit Sanctuary of Hope!  I am so excited about it...and nervous.  I've never put together anything like this before and am so grateful that my good friends Kassily and Liz have agreed to help me out!  So here's the plan:


Open Crafting and Donation Day
Friday, July 18th 9am - 7pm
Hope Evangelical Free Church
On this day, people can come to the church and make crafts to donate to the sale on Saturday.  We are working on getting some craft items donated, but participants should bring their own crafting supplies.  If you cannot make the open crafting time but want to donate an item to be sold on Saturday, this is the time you can drop it off.  

Crafting Hope Craft Fair
Saturday, July 19th 9:30am - 3:30pm
Hope Evangelical Free Church
All donated craft items will be sold on Saturday and all proceeds will go to Sanctuary of Hope.


I am so excited about this event and cannot wait to see how it plays out!  If you are interested in helping out in any way (advertising the event, donating crafted items, etc.) please let me know.  And above all, please pray for this event!

No comments:

Post a Comment