Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Best Cupcake You'll Ever Eat...

Alright, I have to admit a problem... I get obsessed when it comes to food.  Especially baking.  I come across an idea and latch onto it.  Then that idea pops up in my mind constantly until I finally decide I can't go on in life without making that food item.

The beginning of the particular food obsession I'm going to share with you tonight began quite awhile ago.  My mother-in-law introduced me to Whole Food's Chantilly cake one day and I was in love.  It was so incredibly delicious I decided I wanted to make it myself.  After scouring my trusty Pinterest resource, I found this copycat recipe and made it for my family back in California.  It tasted pretty good, but my frosting was more lumpy than I would have liked and I was determined to do it again and get it right.

Then last week I saw a recipe for a filled cupcake and became obsessed.  "Filling a cupcake with delicious goodness?!?  WHY have I not done this before?!?!"  I couldn't get the idea out of my mind and started hunting for the perfect combination.  I thought of the Chantilly cake recipe and decided it would be perfect for a filled cupcake.  A light fluffy frosting and a fruit filling sounded delicious.  Plus, I wanted to take a second crack at that frosting!  I wanted to change it up and try a chocolate cake instead of a white cake and I was so happy with the result!


This cupcake is probably my favorite of any I have made.  I don't have a cupcake corer (addition to next year's Christmas wish list...?), so I used a paring knife to cut into the cupcake 3/4 of the way down and make a circle.  Then I used a grapefruit spoon to get the center out and cut a bit of the cupcake center off so it would fit back on after filling. I had so much fun making them and was so proud of how they looked and tasted.  Below are the links for the cake, filling, and frosting.  I hope you enjoy!


Chocolate Cake, courtesy of Add a Pinch
Filling, courtesy of Minimalist Baker  (I added cinnamon to the compote and used blueberries and raspberries for the fruit.)
Frosting, courtesy of A Sue Chef


No comments:

Post a Comment