Saturday, January 31, 2015

Warm Kale and Butternut Squash Salad

Did you know that I have lost my mind?  Legitimately lost it.  The other day I came home and took chicken out of the freezer so it could start defrosting for dinner the next night.  Instead of being logical and putting it in the fridge, I placed it in the sink... the sink!  Next thing I know I'm waking up in the morning and Sean tells me we have to buy new chicken.  Aaagghh!!

Anyway, this story leads to the delicious recipe I came up with last night.  After buying new chicken (grrr) I came home to figure out what we were going to make for a side.  We had one of the microwavable bags of butternut squash from Trader Joe's - love that stuff! - and some kale.  Throw in some leftover red onions and feta cheese and you've got inspiration!

You'll want to put the almonds in the oven to toast before you start everything else.  I tend to forget this step, which is why I am passing it on to you.  When there's about 15 minutes to dinner, take the onions and caramelize them with balsamic vinegar and oil.  Meanwhile, cook the butternut squash in the microwave.  Gotta love those microwavable packages!  The kale doesn't have to cook very long since you just want it to soften a bit so the dish comes together pretty quickly.

Once the onions are just about done throw in a bit more balsamic vinegar, the kale, and butternut squash.  Cook, stirring constantly until the kale has softened a bit.  Pour the veggies into a dish and top with the almonds and feta.  Top it with the balsamic dressing, toss, and serve.

Let me just preface this by saying ALL of these measurements are estimates.  I didn't measure as I cooked, so you'll just have to taste as you go and adjust things.  We also thought it would be delicious with goat cheese and beets instead of squash and feta.
My photography skills for food are not the best - I apologize.  I blame the lighting!

Warm Kale and Butternut Squash Salad

1/4 cup almonds
1/4 red onion (cut into thin slices)
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs, olive oil
1 package butternut squash
6 cups kale
1/4 cup feta

Balsamic Dressing 
4 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. black pepper

Make the dressing and set aside.  Put the almonds in an oven proof dish and bake for 5-8 minutes at 350 degrees.  Heat 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar and olive oil in a deep pan.  Add the red onion, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook while stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until they are browned and look delicious.  (Technical terms here, people.)  
When the onions have about 5 minutes to go, cook the squash in the microwave.  When onions are ready, add the leftover balsamic vinegar and kale.  Cook for a minute, stirring continuously.  Then add butternut squash and cook for another 30 seconds.
Transfer the vegetables to a serving dish, pour the dressing on top, and toss.  Sprinkle the feta and almonds on top and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment